|IFA||Unit size||Cat. code||Docs||Qty||Price|
Incomplete Freund's Adjuvant
6 x 10 ml
Vaccine Adjuvant: Incomplete Freund′s adjuvant
IFA (Incomplete Freund’s adjuvant) is one of the most commonly used adjuvants in research. It is prepared from non-metabolizable oils.
- IFA can be used to produce water-in-oil emulsions of antigens.
- IFA induces a predominantly Th2-biased response through the formation of a depot at the injection site and the stimulation of antibody-producing plasma cells.
IFA is VacciGrade™, a high-quality pre-clinical grade.
IFA is for research use only, and not for human or veterinary use.Back to the top
Specificity: Th2 response
VacciGrade™ (preclinical grade)
Working concentration: 1:1 (IFA:antigen)
Appearance: Clear, pale yellow liquid
- Sterility guaranteed
- Endotoxin level < 1 EU/ml (measurement by kinetic chromogenic LAL assay)
- Adjuvanticity of IFA was evaluated by assessing the levels of total mouse IgGs (mIgGs) and the mIgG1 and mIgG2 isotypes after two consecutive subcutaneous injections of EndoFit™ Ovalbumin/IFA (1:1, v/v) in mice. Results were compared to mice that received the antigen alone.
IFA (Incomplete Freund’s Adjuvant) is provided as a sterile ready-to-use liquid.
IFA is available in two quantities:
- 10 ml: cat. code # vac-ifa-10
- 6 x 10 ml: cat. code # vac-ifa-60
Each 10 ml IFA vial contains 1.5 ml Mannide Monooleate and 8.5 ml Paraffin oil.
IFA is shipped at room temperature
IFA should be stored at 4°C.
IFA is stable for 2 years when properly stored.
DO NOT FREEZE.Back to the top
IFA (Incomplete Freund’s adjuvant) is one of the most commonly used adjuvants in research.
It is prepared from non-metabolizable oils (paraffin oil and mannide monooleate) . IFA does not contain killed Mycobacterium tuberculosis found in Complete Freund's Adjuvant (CFA) and is thus less inflammatory . IFA induces a predominantly Th2-biased response through the formation of a depot at the injection site and the stimulation of antibody producing plasma cells . It has been suggested that NOD2 modulates the adjuvant effects of IFA . IFA is utilized to produce water-in-oil emulsions of antigens. It is routinely used for boosting immunizations subsequent to CFA. It can also be used for the initial immunization, particularly when a strong antigen is chosen or moderate antibody levels are sufficient.
1. Lindblad EB., 2000. Freund’s Adjuvants. In: Vaccine adjuvants: Preparation Methods and Research Protocols. Humana Press.Totowa, NJ.
2. Petrovsky N. & Aguilar JC., 2004. Vaccine adjuvants: Current state and future trends. Immunol Cell Biol. 82(5): 488-96.
3. Moreira L0. et al., 2008. Modulation of adaptive immunity by different adjuvant-antigen combinations in mice lacking Nod2. Vaccine 26(46): 5808-13.
VacciGrade™ is a high-quality pre-clinical grade. VacciGrade™ products are filter-sterilized (0.2 µm) and filled under strict aseptic conditions in a clean room*. The absence of bacterial contamination is assessed by a sterility test using a pharmacopeia-derived assay. The level of bacterial contaminants (endotoxins and lipoproteins) in each lot is verified using a LAL assay and/or a TLR2 and TLR4 reporter assay.
*Except for LPS VacciGrade™, which is prepared in a PSM dedicated to LPS.