|3-Methyladenine||Unit size||Cat. code||Docs||Qty||Price|
3-MA, PI3K inhibitor
PI3K inhibitor - Autophagy inhibitor
3-Methyladenine (3- MA) is an inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinases (PI3K). PI3K plays an important role in many biological processes, including controlling the activation of mTOR, a key regulator of autophagy.
3-MA inhibits autophagy by blocking autophagosome formation via the inhibition of class III PI3K .
3-MA plays a dual role in autophagy. Prolonged treatment with 3-MA promotes autophagy under nutrient-rich conditions, whereas 3-MA inhibits starvation-induced autophagy . These results are attributed to differential effects on class I versus class III PI3K.
In addition to its role in autophagy, 3-MA has been implicated in cancer therapy . It has been revealed that 3-MA suppresses the invasion of highly metastatic cancer cells through the inhibition of class I and II PI3K .
Further studies demonstrated that 3-MA can induce caspase-dependent cell death that is independent of autophagy inhibition .
1. Wu Y. et al., 2010. Dual role of 3-methyladenine in modulation of autophagy via different temporal patterns of inhibition on class I and III phosphoinositide 3-kinase. J Biol Chem. 285(14):10850-61.
2. Cheong H et al., 2012. Therapeutic targets in cancer cell metabolism and autophagy. Nature Biotechnology 30:671–678.
3. Ito S. et al., 2007.3-Methyladenine suppresses cell migration and invasion of HT1080 fibrosarcoma cells through inhibiting phosphoinositide 3-kinases independently of autophagy inhibition. Int J Oncol 31 261-268.
4. Hou H. et al., 2012. Inhibitors of phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinases promote mitotic cell death in HeLa cells. PLoS One. 7(4):e35665.
5. Jing C. et al., 2012.Autophagy activation is associated with neuroprotection against apoptosis via a mitochondrial pathway in a rat model of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neuroscience. 213:144-53.
Working Concentration: 5 mM
CAS number: 5142-23-4
Molecular weight: 149.2
Solubility: DMSO or DMF (10 mg/ml), 95% ethanol or 1 N NaOH (30 mg/ml), waterBack to the top
3-methyladenine is provided as a solid.
- 50 mg 3-methyladenine
3-methyladenine is shipped at room temperature.
Store at room temperature.
Solid product is stable 2 years at room temperature.Back to the top
Back to the top