Hygromycin B Gold
|Hygromycin B Gold (solution)||Unit size||Cat. code||Docs||Qty||Price|
Selective antibiotic for the hph gene
1 g (10 x 1 ml)
5 g (1 x 50 ml)
Hygromycin B Gold™: an ultrapure Hygromycin B.
Hygromycin B is an aminoglycoside antibiotic produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus. It kills bacteria, fungi and higher eukaryotic cells by inhibiting protein synthesis.
It has been reported to interfere with translocation  and to cause mistranslation at the 70S ribosome .
Resistance to Hygromycin B
Hygromycin B is used as a selective agent in molecular genetics experiments on a wide variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic species [3-5].
The hph gene confers hygromycin-resistance to cells expressing it and many vectors carrying the hph gene are available within the scientific community.
Typically, mammalian cells are sensitive to Hygromycin B concentrations of 50-200 µg/ml, and bacteria to 50-100 µg/ml.
1. Cabanas M. et al., 1978. Dual interference of Hygromycin B with ribosomal translocation and with Aminoacyl-tRNA recognition. Eur. J. Biochem. 87:21‑7.
2. Gonzales, A. et al., 1978. Studies on the mode of action of hygromycin B, an inhibitor of translocation in eukaryotes. Biochem Biophys Acta 521:459‑69.
3. Gritz L. & Davies J., 1983. Plasmid-encoded hygromycin B resistance: the sequence of hygromycin B phosphotransferase gene and its expression in Escherichia coli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene 25:179-88.
4. Cullen D. et al., 1987. Transformation of Aspergillus nidulans with the hygromycin-resistance gene, hph. Gene 57:21-6.
5. Santerre R. et al., 1984. Expression of prokaryotic genes for hygromycin B and G418 resistance as dominant-selection markers in mouse L cells. Gene 30:147-56.
Product concentration:100 mg/ml solution
CAS number: 31282-04-9
Quality Control: Each lot is thoroughly tested to ensure the absence of lot-to-lot variation.
Purity: ≥ 90% (HPLC)
Endotoxin level: < 0.5 EU/mg
Physicochemical characterization: pH, appearance
Cell culture tested: potency validated in hygromycin‑sensitive and hygromycin-resistant mammalian cell lines
Non‑cytotoxicity of trace contaminants: absence of long‑term effects confirmed in hygromycin‑resistant cellsBack to the top
Hygromycin B Gold (previously named HygroGold™) is supplied as a sterile filtered yellow solution at 100 mg/ml in HEPES buffer.
This product is available in two pack sizes:
- ant-hg-1: 10 x 1 ml (1 g)
- ant-hg-5: 1 x 50 ml (5 g)
Hygromycin B Gold is shipped at room temperature.
Upon receipt, it should be stored at 4°C or -20˚C.
SPECIAL HANDLING : Hygromycin B is a hazardous compound. Avoid contact with skin and eyes.Back to the top
The working concentrations of Hygromycin B Gold for mammalian cell lines vary from 50 to 200 μg/ml, in a few cases up to 500 μg/ml.
If you notice unusually high cytotoxicity when switching to Hygromycin B Gold, you may need to adjust your working concentrations.
Suggested concentrations of Hygromycin B Gold for selection in some examples of mammalian cells are listed below.
|Cell line||Species||Tissue||Medium||Hygromycin B||Equivalent concentrations|
Hygromycin B Gold
|B16||Mouse||Melanoma||RPMI||100-200 µg/ml||200 µg/ml||160 µg/ml|
|CHO||Hamster||Ovary||MEM||100-500 µg/ml||500 µg/ml||400 µg/ml|
|HeLa||Human||Cervix||DMEM||100-200 µg/ml||200 µg/ml||160 µg/ml|
|HEK293||Human||Kidney||DMEM||50-400 µg/ml||500 µg/ml||320 µg/ml|
|Raji||Human||Lymphoma||RPMI||125-300 µg/ml||300 µg/ml||240 µg/ml|
|THP-1||Human||Monocytes||RPMI||200-400 µg/ml||500 µg/ml||320 µg/ml|
Formula: C20H37N3O13, HCl
Molecular weight: 563.5
Back to the top