PlasmoTest™ - Mycoplasma Detection Kit
Mycoplasma contamination detection kit
1 kit (250 samples)
Colorimetric mycoplasma detection assay
PlasmoTest™ is the first cellular assay for the visual, colorimetric detection of mycoplasma contamination in cell cultures.
- Requires only basic cell culture knowledge
- Hands-on time < 1 hour. Results after overnight incubation
- Detects 5.102-5.105 cfu/ml mycoplasma contaminants
- Detects bacterial contaminants
- No false positive: a positive result indicates the presence of a cell culture contaminant
PlasmoTest™ features two major components:
- the mycoplasma sensor cells, HEK-Blue™-2 cells
- the HEK-Blue™ Detection medium
HEK-Blue™-2 cells recognize mycoplasmas through Toll-like Receptor 2 (TLR2), a pathogen recognition receptor.
In the presence of mycoplasmas, TLR2 initiates a signaling cascade leading to the activation of NF-kB and other transcription factors.
These transcription factors induce the secretion of SEAP (secreted embryonic alkaline phosphatase) in the supernatant.
SEAP activity is readily detected by the purple/blue coloration of the HEK-Blue™ Detection medium. HEK-Blue™ Detection is a medium specifically designed for the detection of SEAP.
Read our review on Mycoplasma contamination of cell cultures
Read our review on Mycoplasma eradication
InvivoGen's mycoplasma dectection kit is for investigative purposes only. Not for diagnostic use.Back to the top
Functional assays: tested on the five mycoplasma species most frequently isolated from cell cultures
Sensitivity: detects 5.102-5.105 cfu/ml depending on the species of mycoplasma
No false positive: a positive result indicates the presence of a cell culture contaminant
Specificity: PlasmoTest™ cannot be used for mycoplasma species detection.
PlasmoTest™ can detect other cell culture contaminants such as bacteria.
Plasmotest™ Kit: test up to 250 samples.
- HEK-Blue™-2 Cells: 1 vial of 3-7 x 106 frozen cells
- HEK-Blue™ Selection: 2 x 1 ml of 250X solution of selective antibiotics
- Normocin™: 1 ml of 500X Normocin™ (1 ml for 500 ml of cell culture medium)
- HEK-Blue™ Detection: 1 pouch (for 50 ml of reconstituted detection medium each)
- HEK-Blue™ Water: 60 ml bottle
- Positive control: 1 tube
- Negative control: 1 tube
HEK-Blue™-2 Cells are shipped on dry ice.
See the Data Sheet for the storage conditions of each component.
To perform further assays, only the reagents need to be reordered.Back to the top