Puromycin is an aminonucleoside antibiotic produced by Streptomyces alboniger. It specifically inhibits peptidyl transfer on both prokaryotic and eukaryotic ribosomes. This antibiotic inhibits the growth of Gram positive bacteria and various animal and insect cells. Puromycin can also be used in some particular conditions for the selection of E. coli transformants.
Resistance to puromycin is conferred by the Pac gene encoding a puromycin N-acetyl-transferase (PAC) that was found in a Streptomyces producer strain.
Animal cells are generally sensitive to concentrations from 1 to 10 µg/ml.
Working concentration:1 to 10 µg/ml in animal cells
CAS number: 58-58-2
Molecular weight: 471.51
Formula: C22H29N7O5, 2HCl
Puromycin hydrochloride is supplied as 1ml tubes of a 10 mg/ml solution in HEPES buffer (100% active product), filtered to sterility for customer convenience, and cell culture tested.
- ant-pr-1: 10 x 1 ml at 10 mg/ml (100 mg)
- ant-pr-5: 50 x 1 ml at 10 mg/ml (500 mg)
Puromycin is shipped at room temperature. Upon receipt it should be stored at 4°C or -20°C.
- VARA J., et al. (1985).Biosynthesis of puromycin by Streptomyces alboniger: characterization of puromycin N-acetyltransferase. Biochemistry. 24: 8074-8081
- LACALLE R.A., et al. (1989). Molecular analysis of the pac gene encoding a puromycin N-acetyl transferase from Streptomyces alboniger. Gene .79: 375-380
- DE LA LUNA S and J.ORTIN. (1992). Methods In Enzymology.216:376-385
Recent articles using Puromycin
- 2011 - Mol. Endocrinol., 25: 1416 - 1430
The extreme C-terminal region of Gαs differentially couples to the luteinizing hormone and beta2-adrenergic receptors.
DeMars G, Fanelli F, Puett D
- 2011 - J. Cell Sci., 124: 2349 - 2356
Real-time monitoring of redox changes in the mammalian endoplasmic reticulum.
van Lith M, Tiwari S, Pediani J, Milligan G, Bulleid NJ
- 2011 - J. Cell Biol., 193: 307 - 318
Defective nucleotide excision repair with normal centrosome structures and functions in the absence of all vertebrate centrins.
Dantas TJ, Wang Y, Lalor P, Dockery P, Morrison CG
|Unit Size||100 mg (10 x 1 ml)|
|Price||For price or distributor address,
please select your country