Hygromycin B Gold
Selection antibiotic: cell culture tested, sterile reagent
Hygromycin B Gold™ is an ultrapure Hygromycin B.
Hygromycin B is an aminoglycoside antibiotic produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus. It kills bacteria, fungi and higher eukaryotic cells by inhibiting protein synthesis. It has been reported to interfere with translocation  and to cause mistranslation at the 70S ribosome .
Resistance to Hygromycin B
Hygromycin B is used as a selective agent in molecular genetics experiments on a wide variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic species [3-5].
The hph gene confers hygromycin-resistance to cells expressing it and many vectors carrying the hph gene are available within the scientific community.
Product concentration: 100 mg/ml solution
- 50-500 µg/ml in mammalian cells
- 50-500 µg/ml in bacteria
CAS number: 31282-04-9
Purity: >90% (confirmed by HPLC)
Activity is tested using bioassays on bacteria and mammalian cell lines.
Molecular weight: 563.5
pKa values: 7.1 and 8.8 in water.
Formula: C20H37N3O13, HCl
Hygromycin B Gold (previously named HygroGold™) is supplied as a yellow solution in HEPES buffer or as a white powder in different formats:
- 1g : 10 x 1 ml at 100 mg/ml
- 5g: 1 x 50 ml at 100 mg/ml
- 10 g (powder)
Hygromycin B Gold is shipped at room temperature. Upon receipt, it should be stored at 4°C or -20˚C.
Hygromycin B is a hazardous compound. Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
The working concentrations of Hygromycin B Gold for mammalian cell lines vary from 50 to 200 μg/ml, in a few cases up to 500 μg/ml.
If you notice unusually high cytotoxicity when switching to Hygromycin B Gold, you may need to adjust your working concentrations.
Suggested concentrations of Hygromycin B Gold for selection in some examples of mammalian cells are listed below.
|Cell line||Species||Tissue||Medium||Hygromycin B||Equivalent concentrations|
|Hygromycin B Gold
|B16||Mouse||Melanoma||RPMI||100-200 µg/ml||200 µg/ml||160 µg/ml|
|CHO||Hamster||Ovary||MEM||100-500 µg/ml||500 µg/ml||400 µg/ml|
|HeLa||Human||Cervix||DMEM||100-200 µg/ml||200 µg/ml||160 µg/ml|
|HEK293||Human||Kidney||DMEM||50-400 µg/ml||500 µg/ml||320 µg/ml|
|Raji||Human||Lymphoma||RPMI||125-300 µg/ml||300 µg/ml||240 µg/ml|
|THP-1||Human||Monocytes||RPMI||200-400 µg/ml||500 µg/ml||320 µg/ml|
1. Cabanas M. et al., 1978. Dual interference of Hygromycin B with ribosomal translocation and with Aminoacyl-tRNA recognition. Eur. J. Biochem. 87:21‑7.
2. Gonzales, A. et al., 1978. Studies on the mode of action of hygromycin B, an inhibitor of translocation in eukaryotes. Biochem Biophys Acta 521:459‑69.
3. Gritz L. & Davies J., 1983. Plasmid-encoded hygromycin B resistance: the sequence of hygromycin B phosphotransferase gene and its expression in Escherichia coli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene 25:179-88.
4. Cullen D. et al., 1987. Transformation of Aspergillus nidulans with the hygromycin-resistance gene, hph. Gene 57:21-6.
5. Santerre R. et al., 1984. Expression of prokaryotic genes for hygromycin B and G418 resistance as dominant-selection markers in mouse L cells. Gene 30:147-56.
Recent articles using InvivoGen Hygromycin B Gold
- 2016 - Nat Commun., 7:10842.
The role of kinetic context in apparent biased agonism at GPCRs.
Klein Herenbrink C, Sykes DA, Donthamsetti P, Canals M, Coudrat T, Shonberg J, Scammells PJ, Capuano B, Sexton PM, Charlton SJ, Javitch JA, Christopoulos A, Lane JR.
- 2016 - Neuropharmacology., 101:309-19.
The potential of synthetic indolylquinoline derivatives for Aβ aggregation reduction by chemical chaperone activity
Chang KH, Chiu YJ, Chen SL, Huang CH, Lin CH, Lin TH, Lee CM, Ramesh C, Wu CH, Huang CC, Fung HC, Chen YC, Lin JY, Yao CF, Huang HJ, Lee-Chen GJ, Lee MC, Hsieh-Li HM.
- 2015 - Clin Cancer Res., 21(18):4062-72.
Bioactivity and safety of IL13Rα2-redirected chimeric antigen receptor CD8+ T cells in patients with recurrent glioblastoma.
Brown CE, Badie B, Barish ME, Weng L, Ostberg JR, Chang WC, Naranjo A, Starr R, Wagner J, Wright C, Zhai Y, Bading JR, Ressler JA, Portnow J, D'Apuzzo M, Forman SJ, Jensen MC.
- 2015 - J Virol., 89(5):2956-61.
Virion-independent transfer of replication-competent hepatitis C virus RNA between permissive cells
Longatti A, Boyd B, Chisari FV.
- 2015 - PLoS One., 10(8):e0134409.
Resistance to Inhibitors of Cholinesterase 3 (Ric-3) Expression Promotes Selective Protein Associations with the Human α7-Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Interactome.
Mulcahy MJ, Blattman SB, Barrantes FJ, Lukas RJ, Hawrot E.
Hygromycin B Gold (solution)
|Description||Selective antibiotic for the hph gene|
|Unit Size||1 g (10 x 1 ml)|
|Price||For price or distributor address,
please select your country