Vaccine Adjuvant: Aluminium hydroxide gel
Alhydrogel® 2%, referred to as alum, is an aluminium hydroxide wet gel suspension. Alum induces a Th2 response by improving the attraction and uptake of antigen by antigen-presenting cells (APCs). It can also activate innate immunity pathways triggered by pattern recognition receptors (PRRs).
Alhydrogel® is sterilized by autoclavation and aseptically filled. InvivoGen only sells products for research use
Alhydrogel® is a trademark of Brenntag Biosector.
Specificity: Th2 response
Working concentration: 1:9 - 1:1 (Alhydrogel:antigen)
CAS number: 21645-51-2
Aluminium content: 9.0 – 11.0 mg/ml
Appearance: White gelatinous precipitate
Alhydrogel 2% is provided as a ready-to-use, sterile wet gel suspension and is available in two quantities:
• 50 ml: cat. code # vac-alu-50
• 250 ml: cat. code # vac-alu-250
Alhydrogel 2% is shipped at room temperature and should be stored at room temperature. Product is stable for 6 months. DO NOT FREEZE.
Alhydrogel 2% is an aluminium hydroxide (referred to as alum) wet gel suspension. Alum acts primarily through the formation of a depot at the injection site, enabling enhanced antigen availability, activation of antigen presenting cells (APCs) and uptake by immune cells . It can also activate innate immunity pathways triggered by pattern recognition receptors (PRRs). The NLR pathway has been recently described as an important mechanism in alum adjuvancy . Alum has been shown to activate the NLRP3 inflammasome although its role in alum-induced antibody response is controversial .
1. Morefield GL. et al., 2005. Role of aluminum-containing adjuvants in antigen internalization by dendritic cells in vitro. Vaccine 23(13): 1588-95.
2. Li H. et al., 2008. Cutting edge: Inflammasome activation by alum and alum's adjuvant effect are mediated by NLRP3. J Immunol. 181(1):17-21.
3. Franchi L. & Nuñez G., 2008. The Nlrp3 inflammasome is critical for aluminium hydroxide-mediated IL-1beta secretion but dispensable for adjuvant activity. Eur. J. Immunol. 38(8):2085-9